Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Toot Toot, Hayyyyy, Beep Beep

1) One terrific part of Paris is their innovative acceptance of bicyclists - they even have a basically-free bike-borrowing system called Velib'. You give a credit card number for $5, which is not taken unless you keep the bike for more than 30 minutes. So, if you are smart, you will note which Velib' stations are where and if you need more than 30 minutes on a bike, just switch 'em out.

Today I had my first Velib' adventure.

As a note that will surprise no one who knows me well, I have an absolutely terrible sense of direction. If there is a way to get lost, I'll find it. I've been doing surprisingly well in the winding streets of Paris, but with a time limit on me I devised a magnificent plan - take a photo of the map of the surrounding Velib' stations and if I get lost, I have the map right with me!


Once I got the hang of it (that is, riding a bike again), I quite enjoyed it! Even though I am also quite a klutz. Thus, as you can imagine I didn't bother to take photos of my ride, only my post-ride Velib' station.


2) I don't care much for touristy things, avenues stuffed with people or overpriced cheap crap. What I LOVE about traveling is wandering, in particular wandering into a nook that others overlook, and being rewarded with a small quiet treasure of private experience.

One such event occurred today, when, in my wanderings, I drifted into this courtyard sculpture exhibition.



It was great fun to be able to interact with art, to engage the kinetic properties of an artist's work.


I loved these old French ladies. Their hands reminded me of my grandmother's as they played with the sculptures.








3) Today I wanted to see the Musee Picasso, supposedly one of Paris' "best-kept secrets." I thought to myself while I looked for it, 'I don't know how it's supposed to be so well-kept if there are signs for it everywhere.'


Then, an hour later, still unable to find it, I realized why it's so well-kept. It's impossible to find. I walked around the same block twice only to realize that, yes, the main entrance is this (even though there is no sign saying Picasso):


And that, yes, that circle with a slash does mean it's closed.


Until 2012. Ah well. C'est ne pas grave.

4. With the possible exception of the forefront two, there were more handsome men in this cafè than I could count.


Someday I will gather the courage to try to talk to one of them.

avec l'amour,
*jenna*

1 comment: