Monday, April 5, 2010

The Day I Found My French

Today I did the most amazing thing: pretty much nothing. I saw some famous things and took the Metro for the first time and blah blah blah, but the most notable part of my day was this:


Sitting in a cafè, having a bite and taking an entire hour and a half to drink a kir, my new favorite beverage. This is a thing in Paris: to sit outside, have a drink or a coffee and simply watch people go by or read for great lengths of time. The waitress doesn't care, and nobody pushes you to leave when you're finished eating. I just watched the world go by and nobody bothered me for anything. I didn't have a book or a journal or a friend, just myself and Paris to watch in front of me.

I have to be honest, I don't feel a great sense of urgency to check off a list of the things people "must" do in Paris (except see the Eiffel Tower, which is tomorrow)... I only want to absorb the life around me.

I have to note this mustard though, it is utterly incredible. It looks like any ol' mustard, but when it hit my tongue it brought literal tears to my eyes, and took the breath from my lungs, over and over again for a good ten seconds. Of course I consumed a lot of it over the course of my lunch.


Perfect.


avec l'amour,
*jenna*

2 comments: