Friday, May 28, 2010

Mission Accomplished.

Today I went to the Louvre to see only one piece.























I couldn't leave Paris without seeing Psyché Ranimée Par Le Baiser De L'Amour, or as I call it, Psyche and Cupid, by Antonio Canova.

It depicts the final scene in the tale of these two lovers. Psyche, having married Cupid sight unseen, sneaks in on him to peek at his beauty while he sleeps. When he wakes, he flees, saying, "Love cannot live without trust." Alone, Psyche is doomed by Venus to perform a series of tasks beyond her mortal capabilities. She falls into a fatal sleep from which only Cupid's kiss can wake her. Here, he does just that, descending upon her in the moment before "... The End."

Utterly, completely beautiful. Masterful. Slightly smaller than I had imagined, but definitely bigger than the miniature replica I bought in Italy 9 years ago and keep at my mother's house.

I should get that back.


avec l'amour,
*jenna*

No comments:

Post a Comment